Our advice to parents
Once there is a doubt about something wrong in your child…pointed by elders at home or your friend or your Doctor on the routine visit. PLEASE DO NOT GO INTO DENIAL MODE.
Please keep an open mind of acceptance and explore all the early warning signs to decide. This is going to save a lot of agony for the child and your family.
Now to help you in that process the following points are listed here to be aware and pick up warning signs early to act.
Characteristics of Children with Autism
• Prefers to be alone; aloof manner
• Little or no eye contact,
• Unexplained uncontrollable tantrums,
• Insistence on sameness; resistance to change,
• Difficulty in expressing needs, and no index finger pointing.
• Repeating words or phrases in place of normal, responsive language,
• Laughing, crying, showing distress and tantrums, for reasons not apparent to others,
• May not want to cuddle or be cuddled,
• Unresponsive to normal teaching methods,
• Sustained odd play, spins objects, inappropriate attachments to objects,
• Apparent over-sensitivity or under-sensitivity to pain,
• No real fear of dangers,
• Noticeable physical over-activity or extreme under-activity,
• Uneven gross/fine motor skills,
• Not responsive to verbal cues; acts as if deaf although hearing tests are in normal range.
The term ‘EARLY IDENTIFICATION’ carries a whole new meaning and perspective at ‘DOAST’.
You have already studied our earlier texts on hardware software analogy and inflammation being the molecular denominator. Hence if we catch them young we prevent damage to the hardware and our salvage and restoration of the already damaged hardware is easier and faster.
IN OTHER WORDS THE GOLDEN PERIOD FOR RECOVERY IS CHILDREN IDENTIFIED LESS THAN OR BETWEEN 3 TO 5 YEARS OF AGE.