As mentioned in the previous texts to bring peace at home, DOAST Integrated Therapy Centre for Autism in India follows chosen ‘good enough and effective techniques’ with dedicated scientific boldness for the past more than ten years.
To treat autism we conceptualized the ‘Integrated Therapy’.The ‘Integrated therapy’ is a fusion of time tested methods of our ancient Indian medical techniques, applied in synergy with the latest findings of mainstream research. The components of the ‘Integrated therapy’ are medicines and techniques derived from the traditional Indian medical systems of Yoga, Ayurveda and Siddha.
These centuries old therapeutic systems are built on the concept that inefficient elimination of bodily toxins imbalance the Bio-energetic forces result in chronic ailments. Their corrective therapeutic concept is toxin elimination – rejuvenation and regeneration. We found that this therapeutic concept of the traditional Indian medical systems is in complete synergy with the present day technological understanding of chronic disease -like autism- as cellular stress, molecular disorder, cytokines and signal triggers between body and brain.
• The prescribed diet is a simple, natural and easily assimilated ‘Sathvik Diet’ practiced by the science Yoga.
• Herbal medications, certified by the Ayurvedic [including Siddha] pharmacopia of India are administered.
• Yoga technique is a combinatorial approach.
• Oleation therapies with medicated oils are done in repetitive cycles and therapy techniques are varied in cyclic manner.
Ethical & safety guidelines followed
• A well informed consent is obtained from parents.
• The therapy techniques and medicines are chosen by evidence based risk benefit ratio, proven over centuries in their clinical science.
• The therapies are done in the presence of and also with the interaction of the parent help strengthen the knowledge and confidence of the parent. This helps in achieving positive results in the least gestation time.
• Clinical safety is further ensured by evaluating pretreatment EEG and periodic monitoring of biochemical parameters to assess renal, hepatic and hematological functions.
We follow and keep track of the treatment profile for each patient, from the time of admission and through their recovery (or lack of it), for patient based treatment alterations etc.
Thus each participant in the study will serve as his/her own control.
Discussion on the benefits obtained
• The immediate benefit observed is alleviation of painful gastrointestinal symptoms. like Constipation, hyperacidity, and Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease [GERD]
• Improved sleep pattern and day time behavior.
• Reduced falling sick ratio.
• Improved eye gaze is evident within the initial 6-8 weeks of therapy.
• Measurable genesis in body language and speech development follows improved eye gaze.
• Improvement in the emotional behavior and the development of empathy.
• Concurrent development of learning by imitation and meaningful communication.
• Improvement is influenced by the age of induction into therapy, duration of follow-up and compliance to the details.